ViolinWatch

找回密码
 立即注册
搜索
热搜: 活动 交友 discuz
             Maker介绍
查看: 2492|回复: 2
打印 上一主题 下一主题

Thinking about Buying a Chipot Vuillaume Violin,Is this one fairly priced?

[复制链接]

主题

帖子

积分

注册会员

积分
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2013-11-23 21:02:57 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
well i've been looking for a new violin for over six months now, and i finally found one that i love and really want! it's labeled "chipot vuillaume, gendre de j.b. vuillaume a paris" and the date reads 1886. the shop we got it from doesn't have any papers for it because they bought found it and restored it- it's in great condition and has a gorgeous sound, but i was wondering how much violins by "chipot vuillaume" usually sell for. this one is priced at $7,500 and my parents want to know if this is a reasonable price. my teacher says it's a really awesome instrument, but she isn't sure if it's fairly priced either, and i can't get to a luthier to get an verbal appraisal until monday. do you think this is a fair price? I really hope so because i'm in love with this violin! any help would be greatly appreciated.
picture~thx!
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

积分

中级会员

积分
沙发
发表于 2013-11-23 21:10:09 | 只看该作者
Chipot - Vuillaume is the correct spelling, he married the daughtert of a Parisian cobbler who's name just happened to be Jean Baptiste Vuillaume but was not related to the famous French violin maker J.B.Vuillaume, he just used the name to fool the public into thinking that he was related to J.B.Vuillaume. Perhaps Jim is getting confused with the spelling Villaume as in Gustave Villaume who was by the way a very good maker.

Chipot - Vuillaume died in 1892 so the date is ok but I should add that there are many Mircourt violins made around 1900 that are labelled Chipot - Vuillaume but are in fact just workshop fiddles (made by assistants). I also think it is expensive at $7,500 even if it is genuine. For that money you could buy a much finer instrument and with good provenance, perhaps take a look at: www.westcountryviolins.com/cat-- ... --violins-3:15.html West Country Violins had a Chipot - Vuillaume recently priced at 2,200 pounds. (about $4,600) Hope this helps, although I think that has now been sold.

Regards,

Winson
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

积分

注册会员

积分
板凳
发表于 2013-11-23 21:29:48 | 只看该作者
I play a Chipot-Vuillaume (dated 1920, Paris).  Charles Drouin had the rights to the Chipot-Vuillaume name from c. 1892 to his death in 1931.  If the label on mine is to be trusted, my violin comes from the Drouin period, and I assume the "Paris" designation is correct, though Drouin's assembly shop was in Mirecourt, I believe.  I'm fond of this violin, though I wish it were a bit more suave and sensitive in tone and responsiveness to the bow.

Although I've seen lists of these violins going for up to $8,500, most sell for much less (c. $2,000-4,000).  I'm sure the range of tone, workmanship, and playability is a wide one.  It's also true that the violin may be worth the amount asked to you, though it does seem on the outrageous side to me.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

QQ|琴易网  

GMT+8, 2024-4-20 15:51 , Processed in 0.235317 second(s), 26 queries .