主题

帖子

积分

注册会员

积分
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2013-11-20 10:19:06 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
Violin #16 pleases me up to E6. I assume that, on the upper half of the E string, the bridge and soundpost are most important to bring out the bridge hill response.

So, I could do maybe 400 different combinations of bridges and soundpost settings. But clearly violin makers must have a more efficient way to optimize the sound and response.

Here is my current plan:

1. Make three bridges with resonances of about 3600 Hz, 3100 Hz and 2600 Hz.  To measure these frequencies, I will use Joe Curtin's method in which the bridge is clamped in a vice. You flick the bridge corner and record the response.

2. With each of the 3 bridges, I will move the soundpost to maybe 5 different positions and record the bridge tap response, looking for the bridge hill.

3. Which ever bridge works best, I will then make 3 more bridges with frequencies closer to the winner of the first round.

I am confident there is a better way, which I am sure Mnetters will reveal, in the fullness of time.

Suggestions are solicited.  Thanks
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

积分

注册会员

积分
沙发
发表于 2013-11-27 15:28:26 | 只看该作者
You can also tune between 260 - 400 Hz with another technique. I haven't tried that yet so I don't know how in detail. Be careful not to carve too much on the underside between the feets. It will rapidly change the sonority of the violin, my experience is that bad things happen att ~2 KHz.

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

积分

注册会员

积分
板凳
发表于 2013-11-27 15:29:51 | 只看该作者
You can do a similar thing with those DeJacques bridges with the adjustable feet. Make different height, weight, and stiffness combinations. They fit on any violin and save a lot of time for getting an idea of what works for a particular violin.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

积分

注册会员

积分
地板
发表于 2013-11-27 15:31:03 | 只看该作者
I'll just throw in my experiences and tests.

-I tried testing the effects of mass and flexibility predicted in Woodhouse's paper on the bridge/body hill, and didn't see them.

-For "tuning" a bridge, I also didn't see or hear much effect until it got extremely flexible, then the high end died off.  I was not able to enhance the high end by any tuning.

-The only adjustment-like thing I do is adjust the weight of the upper part of the bridge; thinner = more "unmuted".  It can be taken too far.

-I have quantitative data (which I can't locate right now) that shows increased high frequency response over time, particularly in the first few weeks and months.  So I wouldn't fret too much about the high end for a while.

Soundpost I'm not much of an expert; if the E string sounds too hard, I'll move it back (South), too mushy and I'll move it closer to the bridge.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

QQ|琴易网  

GMT+8, 2024-4-27 11:48 , Processed in 0.155382 second(s), 26 queries .