ViolinWatch

标题: what is the best varnish to use for an antique bow. [打印本页]

作者: ayer    时间: 2013-11-22 16:45
标题: what is the best varnish to use for an antique bow.
I have a lovely bow by H.Fleury (1900 -1927). It had a fatal break starting at the top of the tip and travelling diagonally for 3 inches to the opposite side of the shaft. It was badly repaired with a sleeve and glue a very very long time ago. Luthier told me it was a beautiful stick but unrepairable. Well I fixed it. But now I need some advice about what varnish to use. I am told that oil varnish is better than spirit. I presume that due to this bow's age it was an oil based one initially. I would greatly appreciate anyone's guidance or opinion as to the advantages or suitability of one over the other.
作者: fiby    时间: 2013-11-26 15:24
Hopefully somebody who knows more than me will respond to this, but in the meantime: I have never heard of anything but alcohol based shellac, put on with a cloth, being used. I've only made three bows but they were supervised in the French tradition.
作者: ada    时间: 2013-11-27 16:50
More information would be needed to put this into context. Perhaps they didn't think that a repair to their standards of quality was possible. Or maybe they didn't think there was a good chance that the repair would last. Or maybe they thought it wasn't wise to put the money into the repair, given the market value of the bow after repair. Or perhaps they were hack luthiers (you haven't offered names).

欢迎光临 ViolinWatch (http://bbs.violinwatch.com/) Powered by Discuz! X3.1