ViolinWatch

标题: What cello adjustments might help me? [打印本页]

作者: ruby    时间: 2013-11-22 16:17
标题: What cello adjustments might help me?
I started playing cello about a year ago. The most difficult part I've found is getting a nice tone at the start of each note. I'm not sure how to explain it, but the bow grabs the string and holds it for a bit before it lets go. It is worse for the low strings, for when the bow is closer to the bridge, for playing higher tones on each string, and for slurs. So, slurs on the higher notes on the C string sound really really bad.

I am not sure how to resolve it. I've tried various things suggested by my teacher but they don't seem to work. It's frustrating because I know that I can improve other parts of my playing by practising. But practising doesn't help if I don't know what to practise.

Then last week I tried my teacher's cello (with my bow) and it was wonderful - this issue almost completely disappeared. So, it is mostly an equipment issue, not me. I have an inexpensive (read cheap) laminated student cello. I cannot afford to buy a good quality solid wood one yet.

But, is there anything I can get adjusted or done to my cello by a luthier that would help? What would be the biggest differences between my teacher's cello and mine that would cause this issue?

作者: fiby    时间: 2013-11-26 15:25
Try a low tension string in the most obnoxious position. My guess is that anything else
will involve taking the instrument to somebody who knows what's doing
作者: mamaya    时间: 2013-11-27 16:46
Have you tried taking it in for a tune-up? New instruments do settle and may need some adjustments. It might cost a bit...but just think of it as an annual routine maintenance expense no matter what quality of cello you play.

欢迎光临 ViolinWatch (http://bbs.violinwatch.com/) Powered by Discuz! X3.1